About us

St James is a thriving Scottish Episcopal congregation at the heart of Aberdeen.

We are people loving God and loving others as we seek to share the good news of Jesus Christ.

Through the Year

Our church follows the rich pattern of the church’s liturgical year. We have services that celebrate Advent, Christmas, Epiphany, Ash Wednesday, Lent, Mothering Sunday, Palm Sunday, and Holy Week. Easter & Pentecost, Creationtide & Harvest, Remembrance Sunday, All Saints’ Day, All Souls’ Day and Remembrance Sunday.

A short history of St James

St James the Less was founded in 1854 as an offshoot of St Paul’s, Gallowgate. The congregation originally met in Union Street, then moved to Crown Street. The foundation stone for the current St James’ was laid on 22nd July 1887 and its architect was Arthur Clyne. It was known as the 'English Church' as it was part of the Church of England until it joined the Scottish Episcopal Church in 1897, using the Book of Common of Prayer for all services. The building was not able to be consecrated until 1925 as the congregation needed to pay off a huge debt incurred by the loss of a legacy which had been given on condition that they did not join the Scottish Episcopal Church! This put the church into grave financial difficulties and so it lacks the planned spire. The church was consecrated in 1925 when the debts had finally been cleared.

Church Music

St James has a pipe organ and we are priviliged to have Kamil Mika who not only is our organist fortnightly but also gives frequent Organ Recitals on Saturday mornings (Recitals are advertised in advance on our FB page.)   Our hymn book is Common Praise (2005), and we also include Hymns selected from Mission Praise.